Sunday, October 16, 2011

Grade 12 Writing Assignment

Hey all,

Sooooo I found this short story I wrote back in my grade 12 AP class and I was laughing so hard. I got 100% on it and she read it to the class, which I was shocked. Mrs. Watt all year told me my writing was crap and I was getting 60s in every assignment until this one. She said I had a very strong 'voice' in it. Anyways, happy read! Man, it makes me miss writing a lot...

Adventures of Ruth Stewart

It was a late night, well past the time I should have been in bed, oh what a rebel I was. With great hesitation I climbed up the millions of stairs the house was taunting me with. Barely awake, half sleeping, I went into my room, and got into my cozy blue pajamas. How naive I was not taking my next steps with extreme precaution.

After putting the clothes I had worn that day into the laundry hamper, I turned off my Winnie the Pooh light switch, and walked down the hall to the bathroom. How was I to know that after closing the washroom door, I may come face to face with my worst enemy? I can tell you right now, I surly did not consider this option. I pulled my hair back with a black hair tie, took my glasses off, and proceeded with brushing my teeth. I had yet to inspect my face in the gigantic mirror placed in front of me. I swished the water in my mouth and spat into the sink. I wiped my mouth off with the back of my hand, and then ran the water to wash my face.

I splashed the lukewarm water over my face and began to scrub. Still to this day I cannot remember why I got the notion in my head to look at my reflection while water was directly dripping in my eyes. Anyways, I got the notion and yes I looked up. Just as easily as I looked up, I looked down. I proceeded with splashing more water over my face. My mind began to silently scream at me and pressed the panic button. What was wrong? My heart began to pound and I once again looked up at my reflection. Through the mirror I could see a fuzzy circular form. A large fuzzy circular form. A large fuzzy circular form directly behind me clinging to the wall. In a flash I grabbed my glasses, threw them onto my soaking face and stared inches away at my worst opponent.

A massive brown and orange spider the size of a crab-apple stood there begging for a reaction from me. As he laughed in my face, I screamed and ran to the top of the stairs. I called for help but no one came. Who would my hero be? Who would rescue me from the awful creature who forced me out of my own bathroom? I ran to my sister’s room, my older sister who had been sleeping for only 20 minutes prior to my episode, and cried for her help. She woke up, wondering if it was morning already. I didn’t have time for questions I pulled her arm and threw her out of her warm comfortable bed. Would she kill this evil creature for her younger, adorable, sister? Would she be strong and face my demon for me?  She spazed out and spoke unkind words to little sweet innocent me. I ignored the comments and dragged her to the bathroom. I pushed her inside and stayed a far distance from the beast. I pointed up and she looked up. Her eyes bulged and she told me to get a chair for her. I ran and got her a wooden desk chair from her room. When I returned the real adventure began.

There my older yet smaller sister was standing there looking at her new foe with an enormous wad of toilet paper in her left hand. She climbed up the chair only centimetres from the fiend. I watched from the doorway, my view was like the front row seats of a movie theatre, too close for comfort. I stretched my head around the door to watch her in action. She plunged for it, pounding the wall with one swift punch. To our horror the spider fell, dropped down as if its legs gave up on him. I screamed, she screamed, I’m sure if we could have heard the spider’s voice he would have been screaming too. Screaming because his life was about to come to a complete definite end, or just because of our shrill outburst. Heather turned around in one sudden movement spinning her foot around on the slippery varnished chair. Trying to escape the wrath of the monster, her hasty movement caused her to fall. Her chin made a new friend that night. The counter and her chin became very close acquaintances. As she lay on the floor crying out in pain, I stood there screaming at her to kill the ogre who was trying to escape his punishment for causing our late night ruckus.  She rolled over, bloody and all, and beat the crap out of that spider, for disturbing her peace, and causing her head to almost explode.  I still made her flush the toilet paper down the toilet just to make sure. One never wants to take these things too lightly. I didn’t want to go to bed and wake up with a bandaged spider hanging over my head, coming for his revenge.

After all the commotion was over my mother ran up the stairs and told us to be quiet and to stop thumping around since my father was trying to sleep. Why it took her so long to realize there was a major battle going on in her own house is still a mystery to me. Although, she did realize we had a ‘man down’, there poor Heather was moaning on the floor with a puddle of blood under her head and I had tears in my eyes and a horrified look on my face. My mother nursed my sister back to health and sent her to bed.

I dried off my face, and went into my room and changed my now soaking wet top and curled up in my bed. I slept peacefully that night. I mean I felt bad for Heather of course, but my problem was solved. No way was that spider going to sneak up on me like that again, now that his guts were mixing with the contents of the sewer. I was so happy my sister came to my rescue. She’ll always be my hero. Heather: My sister who always uses her head.

xoxox
Scared of spiders girl,
ME

1 comment:

Heather said...

You and your stretch of an imagination lol. And yes..you're welcome lol. the things I Do for ya;) lol.